Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Swiftly



I dreamt once
That even though we're not related 
Even though I'm a boy and you're a girl
I dreamt once
That we were siamese twins 

We spent most of our days brushing each other's hair and playing scrabble
It was lovely
And then one day a doctor told us we could change our lives together
Filled our heads with ideas like privacy
So we said yes
Because we considered ourselves adventurous types
So they wheeled us into the operating room and put us under
And then I had a dream within a dream
I dreamt that I was running
swiftly
And with a grace I had never known
Ducking and rolling to avoid sharp branches
I took lessons from Jesus Christ lizards and learned to step lightly upon water
Then ran across oceans stopping to catch my breath on the backs of whales that came up for air
I ran so fast and so far I felt like a lawman trying to capture the escaped convict of my own breath

Later I woke
And discovered that we had been placed in opposite ends of the recovery room
You were sitting up in your bed, crying
So I asked you "what's wrong?"
And you asked me "why did you run away?"
So I limped toward you
Climbed inside your bed
Ran my hand through your hair and told you
"I didn't. I was running to find you"

No comments:

Post a Comment